[f-nsp] Looking for throughput infos

Stefan Neufeind foundry-nsp at stefan-neufeind.de
Thu Sep 14 13:21:07 EDT 2006

Gerald Krause wrote:
> On Thursday 14 September 2006 17:56, Jens Brey wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> does someone has informations or a link about the throughput of a
>> BigIron 4000 with M4 Modules, 512 MB RAM, Gigabit Uplink and 3 BGP Full
>> Tables?
>>
>> I heard from something around 850 MBit. Is this right?
>> Average packetsize is around 500 Byte.
>
> IMHO the main limiting factor for the max throughput of a B4000 is the number
> of new flows/second because of the small cam size and not the packetsize
> itself. If you have 500 byte packets from/to only some certain
> sources/destinations I wouldn't be surprised if the B4000 could move 1GBit/s
> or more. The pain begins definitively when the flows grow up but this is
> something you hardly can control in an internet environment.

Hi,

but even then you can try to optimize a bit with net-aggregate, if you
haven't yet already done so, try to increase cam-size etc.
To my understanding everything that can be "switched" (routed) with
information from CAM is quite fast and I *think* that 1GBit or more
should be possible. But this is not based on practical experience with
that small packets you have.

Regards,
 Stefan