[f-nsp] Looking for throughput infos

Gerald Krause gk at ax.tc
Thu Sep 14 14:48:02 EDT 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 19:21, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
> but even then you can try to optimize a bit with net-aggregate, if you
> haven't yet already done so, try to increase cam-size etc.

Yes, there are some little knobs to tune the CAM but they haven't convinced me
until now. Especially this two statements from the orgininal Foundry doc's
makes me wonder:

 "If most of the BGP4 routes actually go to the same set of next hops as the
default route, enable the CAM network aggregation feature."

 "CAM network aggregation requires a default route in the IP route table."

I must have a default route on my BGP router towards my peer(s)/next-hop(s)?
Unfortunately my default is null0 on all my border routers.
Maybe someone can enlighten me in the case I have misread the doc's but if
this is true the net-agg feature is pretty useless for me (and many others i
think).

> To my understanding everything that can be "switched" (routed) with
> information from CAM is quite fast and I *think* that 1GBit or more
> should be possible.

Yes of course and that's what I try to say - it's a matter of CAM size (and
CAM trashing like Kristian mentioned in his post).

--
Gerald    (ax/tc)