[f-nsp] foundry-nsp Digest, Vol 44, Issue 8

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sat Sep 23 17:43:09 EDT 2006

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 03:36:53PM -0600, Jason J. W. Williams wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Thank you very much! I spoke with our Foundry rep yesterday. He mentioned
> that the primary difference between the BigIron RX, MLX and XMR were their
> MPLS capabilities..or lack thereof. He said the MLX could only do edge MPLS
> duties, whereas the XMR can do core and edge MPLS. We got cut off before he
> could explain the difference. Any help is greatly appreciated.

There is no difference betwen MLX and XMR MPLS support. Core vs edge MPLS
normally means P vs PE duties, but typically when you find a box hat can
only do one is is core but not edge (since core functions are relatively
simple compared to edge).

 The Foundry MPLS support is "extremely
simplistic" compared to other routers, but functional.

> Can an XMR32000 really outpeform a Juniper T640 in the real world?

Sigh... If you really have to ask that question, sure what the hell XMR32
is no doubt all you need. In the real world, there is no comparison, but
it has *nothing* to do with which box moves 1.21jiggabits.