[f-nsp] BigIron RX Backplane redundancy

Niels Bakker niels=foundry-nsp at bakker.net
Thu Aug 16 07:40:04 EDT 2007

* bo.andrew at gmail.com (Andrea) [Tue 14 Aug 2007, 10:36 CEST]:
>I have an BI-RX-8-AC with double management, switching, ethernet and sfp
>modules, I was wondering which is the best layout of those modules in
>slots. My goal is to reach the maximum redundancy possible, so I'm
>asking if anybody knows how the backplane works or if it's redundant too
>vertically and so on.

The backplane is passive, if you have three SFMs you can lose one
without impact on forwarding capacity (performance seems to degrade
gracefully if you lose more).  The traffic managers and fabric elements
perform CRC checks and can disable lines if they give errors ("show
snm-links by-lp all").  Enough redundancy exists even with two SFMs in
an RX8 chassis that some errored links will not impact wirespeed
forwarding performance.

	-- Niels.