[f-nsp] Significan Differents Between NetIron MLX dam NetIron XMR

Charley Kline kline at uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 2 14:31:20 EST 2007

As a data point, we built a state-wide MPLS network atop a 10-gig DWDM
transport using MLX's. With a modest number of customers, no VRF's but lots
of VLL's, and two feeds to ISP's taking full Internet routing from each, the
MLX TCAM is *just barely* large enough to handle it all. It's the IPv4
routes from full peers being stored in CAM as a part of "Foundry Direct
Routing" (otherwise known as static CAM mode) that consumes most of the
hardware resources.

The XMR chassis and management modules are roughly the same price, but the
line cards are considerably more expensive than the MLX line cards,
presumably because they have so much more pricy TCAM.

/cvk