[f-nsp] DoS max-conns setting on ServerIron

Jamie Dahl jamied at meatball.net
Wed Feb 7 00:00:56 EST 2007

are you running in DSR mode?

IF you're running in INLINE mode, setup syn-proxy *syn cookie protection*
and set that on the inbound interface..

example

ip tcp syn-proxy 10  (wait no more then 10 seconds for a response on the
Syn-ACK)

int x/x
  ip tcp syn-proxy in

Also another global setting you can use..(and this is global not for a
single source host)

you can setup the following options as well:
SLB-telnet at switch(config)#ip tcp
  burst-normal       Number of packets per second in normal burst mode
  conn-rate
  conn-rate-change
  keepalive          TCP keep alive timer configuration
  syn-proxy          enable syn proxy on system
  tcp-security       Enable TCP security described in
                     draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-00.txt
  trans-rate         enable transaction rate limiting on the system
OR
SLB-telnet at switch(config)#ip icmp
  burst-normal   Number of packets per second in normal burst mode
  trans-rate     enable transaction rate limiting on the system

I WILL CAVEAT THE FOLLOWING..

These do not work correctly in 9.3.x as we've seen those commands have
some to little effect on a high rate syn attack against some of our VIPS
(> 200kpps against a single IP), but the effect we'd hope for.  If you are
running 9.4.x your mileage may be better.  Also 9.4 has  a few more TCP
options that can be tweaked as well for better syn/dos protection.

Also those commands work best in INLINE mode and not DSR.

anyway good luck