[f-nsp] VRRP between Juniper and Foundry - how to get it working?

Gunther Stammwitz gstammw at gmx.net
Thu Feb 8 18:06:01 EST 2007

Hello colleagues,

I'm trying to configure a vrrp-session between a foundry-box and a juniper
m5 in order to provide redundancy for two ips.
Any idea how to do this? I didn't get it working between the foundry and the
juniper. Vrrp between two foundry is no problem at all but in this case...
I'm not the Juniper-guy I'd say...

If someone could have a look at the config below and give me a hint or could
provide me with some sort of example config I'd be really glad.

The current config is:
On the FOUNDRY:
===============
interface ve 3
 port-name MGMT
 ip address 10.20.30.1/24
 ip address 217.123.16.65/27
 no ip redirect
 ip vrrp vrid 3
  owner
  ip-address 10.20.30.1
  ip-address 217.123.16.65
  activate

show ip vrrp vrid 3
Interface v3
----------------
auth-type no authentication

VRID 3 (index 5)
 interface v3
 state master
 administrative-status enabled
 mode owner
 virtual mac 0000.5e00.0103
 priority 255
 current priority 255
 track-priority 2
 hello-interval 1 sec
 backup hello-interval 60 sec
 ip-address 10.20.30.1 217.123.16.65
 next hello sent in 0.1 sec

And on the JUNIPER:
===================
        unit 3 {
            description MGMT;
            vlan-id 3;
            family inet {
                address 217.123.16.67/27 {
                    vrrp-group 1 {
                        virtual-address 217.123.16.65;
                        priority 80;
                        preempt;
                        accept-data;
                    }
                }
                address 10.20.30.3/24 {
                    vrrp-group 3 {
                        virtual-address 10.20.30.1;
                        priority 80;
                        preempt;
                    }
                }
            }
        }

Physical interface: ge-0/2/0, Unit: 3, Vlan-id: 3, Address: 10.20.30.3/24
  Index: 73, SNMP ifIndex: 113, VRRP-Traps: enabled
  Interface state: up, Group: 3, State: master
  Preempt: yes, Accept-data mode: no, VIP count: 1, VIP: 10.20.30.1
  Advertisement timer: 0.503s, Master router: 10.20.30.3
  Virtual router uptime: 00:19:09, Master router uptime: 00:19:05
  Virtual MAC: 00:00:5e:00:01:03
  Tracking: disabled
  Group VRRP PDU statistics
    Advertisement sent              :          910
    Advertisement received          :            0
  Group VRRP PDU error statistics
    Bad authentication type received:            0
    Bad password received           :            0
    Bad MD5 digest received         :            0
    Bad advertisement timer received:            0
    Bad VIP count received          :          983
    Bad VIPADDR received            :            0
  Group state transition statistics
    Idle to master transitions      :            0
    Idle to backup transitions      :            1
    Backup to master transitions    :            1
    Master to backup transitions    :            0

Physical interface: ge-0/2/0, Unit: 3, Vlan-id: 3, Address: 217.123.16.67/27
  Index: 73, SNMP ifIndex: 113, VRRP-Traps: enabled
  Interface state: up, Group: 1, State: master
  Preempt: yes, Accept-data mode: yes, VIP count: 1, VIP: 217.118.16.65
  Advertisement timer: 0.690s, Master router: 217.118.16.67
  Virtual router uptime: 00:19:09, Master router uptime: 00:11:00
  Virtual MAC: 00:00:5e:00:01:01
  Tracking: disabled
  Group VRRP PDU statistics
    Advertisement sent              :          521
    Advertisement received          :          383
  Group VRRP PDU error statistics
    Bad authentication type received:            0
    Bad password received           :            0
    Bad MD5 digest received         :            0
    Bad advertisement timer received:            0
    Bad VIP count received          :            0
    Bad VIPADDR received            :            0
  Group state transition statistics
    Idle to master transitions      :            0
    Idle to backup transitions      :            1
    Backup to master transitions    :            1
    Master to backup transitions    :            0

Thanks in advance,
Gunther