[f-nsp] Secondary IP addressing on VE interface doesnt work!!!!!!

Chris Gauthier cgauthie at pcc.edu
Mon Jun 25 15:28:12 EDT 2007

Beware of one pitfall that I found the hard way:

interface ve 10
  ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
  ip address 10.20.30.1 255.255.255.0
  ip helper-address 1 172.16.0.1
!

In the above configuration ALL of your IP addresses issued using DHCP
will come from the 10.20.30.0/24 network, even if you want the other
network to be the "primary" network for DHCP.  According to Foundry
support techs, "This is because When the Layer 3 Switch forwards a
BootP/DHCP request, the Switch "stamps" the Gateway Address field. The
default value the Layer 3 Switch uses to stamp the packet is the
lowest-numbered IP address (10.20.30.1) configured on the interface that
received the request. Changing this will make your DHCP work."

The command referenced is:
ip bootp-gateway 192.168.0.1

The final config would look like:
interface ve 10
  ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
  ip address 10.20.30.1 255.255.255.0
  ip helper-address 1 172.16.0.1
  ip bootp-gateway 192.168.0.1
!

Chris Gauthier, CCNA, Network+, A+
Network Administration Team
Portland Community College
Portland, Oregon

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
--Leonardo da Vinci