[f-nsp] Failing Backplane or Interface Module on a FastIron 800...help is greatly appreciated.

Jason J. W. Williams jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 15:46:19 EST 2007

Hello all,

I've got kinda of a weird situation, and if you could give me your
take it'd really give me some peace of mind. Suddenly last night all
of the hosts attached to the 1-24ish ports of a FI48E (JetCore) blade
in our FI800 started experiencing massive packet loss (20-100%).
Before we figured out it was that blade, we tried failing the active
management module (FxGMR4) over to the passive just in case it was the
problem. That didn't help. Actually moving the the affected hosts from
one FI48E blade to another seems to have corrected the issue. When we
ping hosts on the "bad" blade we get stuff like this:

wrong data byte #28 should be 0x1c but was 0x7e
#8      8 9 a b c d e f 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 1a 1b 7e 1f 1e
1f 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
#40     28 29 2a 2b 2c 2d 2e 2f 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

A show backplane and a show module, doesn't show any errors or issues
on the "bad" blade.

My real concern right now is that we might have a chassis backplane
going bad (which would take out everything). Is that possible/likely?

Any help in eliminating the backplane as a possibility would really be
appreciated. Also, I have some IronCore 24-port blades from our old
FastIron II. Could I put those into my two empty slots on the FI800 to
take over for the "bad" blade until I can get it replaced? If so, does
it require a chassis reboot to do that (should the chassis be off)?

Lastly, as an update, some of the hosts connected to the "good" FI48E
are starting to exhibit long pings (no packet loss yet). I'm very
concerned something's going to take the whole chassis down. We're
running on 3 power supplies, instead of 4. Could power be an issue?

Again any help is greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Jason