[f-nsp] Opinions on the FESX448

Charley Kline kline at uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 22 10:18:56 EDT 2007

Like another responder, we have a large deployment of the FESX's
little brother, the FWSX, for L2 switching, and they have so far been
completely problem free.

We do use some FES 12GCF's and FES X 424HF's for in-building routing,
and they also work very well. There are a few annoying limitations
(you can't do MAC filtering on a tagged port, for instance, and rate
limiting is fairly restricted in how/where you can use it), but the
L3 routing using OSPF has not given us any problems. They do indeed
perform all IP forwarding in hardware at line rate.

/cvk