[f-nsp] XMR Load balancing

Jason Pope boards188 at gmail.com
Sun May 27 15:24:12 EDT 2007

Has anyone experienced problems with the XMR and load balancing?  We
have ip load-sharing enabled (with 8 paths) which load balances using
a hash of source/destination IP and source/destination port number.
When we have a destination with two or more equal paths, and conduct a
traceroute (ICMP) from a host behind the XMR, it appears to send
traffic out different paths almost in a round-robin fashion.  But,
when the same traceroute is conducted from the XMR itself, it sends
all packets out one path.  We have also used UDP traceroute, but the
port number apparently changes with each packet, so we can't really
use that to evaluate its behavior.  Any help would be appreciated.