[f-nsp] XMR Load balancing

Niels Bakker niels=foundry-nsp at bakker.net
Mon May 28 16:33:47 EDT 2007

* boards188 at gmail.com (Jason Pope) [Sun 27 May 2007, 21:29 CEST]:
>Has anyone experienced problems with the XMR and load balancing?

[snip description of XMR load-balancing working]

I'm not sure I see anything wrong with your description.  Generally,
load-balancing algorithms use src and dst IP addresses and TCP/UDP port
numbers or ICMP sequence.  Not all equipment balances IPv6 and multicast
traffic as nicely as most do IPv4.

Given a recent amount of entropy, hash-based load-balancing works quite
well, in my experience.  The XMR can do per-packet too.  Just be aware
that that might in some cases lead to packet reordering.  And stay away
from "switch trunks" (support for which the XMR deprecates).

	-- Niels.