[f-nsp] Foundry EIF48GS switch

Chris Gauthier cgauthie at pcc.edu
Wed May 30 10:48:50 EDT 2007

I would not recommend the EdgeIron line of switches.  They've been
discontinued at the manufacturer level and we have implemented over a
hundred of the EIF4802CF switches.  From what I understand, Foundry does
not make them directly--they use an OEM.  This is in contrast to their
other switches.  The architecture of the EdgeIrons is not the same as
the FastIron or Jetcore and the EdgeIrons are much less efficient and
capable.

My experiences with the EdgeIron line have been quite frustrating and
I've had more problems with random lock-ups or loss of connectivity to
the management interface (ie, can't ping or telnet the ip address of the
switch) than with the Foundry's other product lines (specifically FES,
FESX, FI).

Disclaimer:  The opinions above are my own (based on my own experiences)
and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer, its other
employees, or the equipment manufacturer.

Chris Gauthier, CCNA, Network+, A+
Network Administration Team
Portland Community College
Portland, Oregon

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
--Leonardo da Vinci