[f-nsp] BGP Core GigE reccomendation

W. Kevin Hunt khunt at huntbrothers.com
Fri Sep 14 16:01:03 EDT 2007

I'm from the Cisco world so forgive me if the questions are a bit
juvenile...

We are picking up a new egress provider delivered via GigE.

We'll be running an average of 250 megs through it, with peaks in the 500
meg range.

Anyone have any recommendations?  We just absorbed a company's assets and
they have a FastIron 400 with the GMR4 JetCore blade and a B4000 with the
BXGMR-4 8 port Gig E blade.  The initial specs I have been able to pull seem
impressive, and I am not too happy with having to put in the Sup 720BXL if I
want a Cisco solution that will handle expected internet route table growth
for more 18 months (sooner if you believe the doomsdayers).

I see many complaints about older Foundry code having issues with BGP and
OSPF, I assume these are now stable ?

How do either of these hold up under high pps ddos loads ?

What is Foundry's stance on putting such gear under software maintenance and
support contract ?

I tried to read Foundry's literature, but it appears one must have a login
to their web page to read such super secret documentation...