[f-nsp] BGP Core GigE reccomendation

Gillian Canty-Ross gilli at subspacecom.com
Fri Sep 14 16:06:44 EDT 2007

Hi Kevin:

I can't help you with the technical stuff.  I can, however, tell you
that Foundry will put pre-owned gear under software maintenance only
(bronze contract, I believe).   But the hardware is so cheap these
days, it hardly makes a difference.

I may have a copy of a BigIron user's manual (it's pretty huge) that
I can put on CD, if you want it.

-Gilli
On Sep 14, 2007, at 4:01 PM, W. Kevin Hunt wrote:

> I’m from the Cisco world so forgive me if the questions are a bit
> juvenile...
>

> We are picking up a new egress provider delivered via GigE.
>
> We’ll be running an average of 250 megs through it, with peaks in
> the 500 meg range.
>

> Anyone have any recommendations?  We just absorbed a company’s
> assets and they have a FastIron 400 with the GMR4 JetCore blade and
> a B4000 with the BXGMR-4 8 port Gig E blade.  The initial specs I
> have been able to pull seem impressive, and I am not too happy with
> having to put in the Sup 720BXL if I want a Cisco solution that
> will handle expected internet route table growth for more 18 months
> (sooner if you believe the doomsdayers).
>

> I see many complaints about older Foundry code having issues with
> BGP and OSPF, I assume these are now stable ?
>

> How do either of these hold up under high pps ddos loads ?
>

> What is Foundry’s stance on putting such gear under software
> maintenance and support contract ?
>

> I tried to read Foundry’s literature, but it appears one must have
> a login to their web page to read such super secret documentation...

Gillian Canty-Ross            PH: +1617-680-6492
              SubSpace Communications, LLC
                 http://www.subspacecom.com
AIM: gillicanty                             Skype: gillicanty
          The Geek's Choice for Network Gear!