[f-nsp] LB fails when source-nat is disabled

Brad Volz bradv at curmudgeon.net
Mon Dec 22 16:30:33 EST 2008

Hello Gaurav,

I don't know if any of this will help, but when I was looking over
your configuration I had a few questions.  First of all, I assume that
the ServerIron is in layer-2 mode, and that there is only a single
vlan - vlan1 in which everything resides ( real & virtual servers and
default gateway ).  With that in mind, my questions were:

a/  for the real/virtual servers  in the 74.53.217.x subnet, how do
these hosts reach the default gateway (50.1.1.129) ?

b/  for everything that is in the 50.1.1.x subnet, would it not be
correct for the ServerIron to send each of the real-servers an ICMP
redirect to its default-gateway ( which is on the same subnet as the
real-servers themselves ) ?  If this were the case, then the
ServerIron would never see the return path traffic from the  real-
servers.

Good luck in finding the issue.

Brad