[f-nsp] Is there much to recommend an MLX?

Tomasz Szewczyk tomeks at man.poznan.pl
Tue Dec 9 03:38:16 EST 2008

Hi,

In my opinion the 6500 are targeted to big LANs and/or corporate
networks. All the features and modules available on this platform cans
be used in such networks. In our case we have quite old 6500 (Sup720) in
metro network (pure L2 switching). The XMRs we have in WAN (country
wide). We have MPLS running on XMRs.
Some time ago Cisco made some changes to MPLS implementation, but I
didn't test it. However, I think the 6500/7600 has major conceptual
(hardware) limitations - New features requires module replacement
(Supervisor and/or line cards).
The MLX/XMR platform is good for ISPs. At the moment the software is not
so advanced as JunOS, but new features simply comes with software (FPGA)
updates. The platform is more flexible - Foundry assured us that it is
even 100Gbps ready.
So - if you need "feature-rich" platform for corporate network and you
are Cisco centric - it would be easier for you to buy 6500, but if
you're looking for efficient and flexible routing/switching platform
Foundry will be good for you.

> From what someone told me I gather the XMR/MLX is more of a router
> than a layer3 switch (like the 6500/7600)

Yes indeed - on XMR/MLS you don't have to enable L2 switching. However
it uses virtual interface to make IP subinterfaces.

> Essentially what i’m after is just someone who has had good exposure
> to both vendors and can give me an honest non biased opinion on what
> they like and dislike about the XMR/MLX’s compared to the Cisco offerings.

My summary is - Cisco for corporate LAN and XMR/MLX for WAN/ISP networks.

Best Regards

Tomek