[f-nsp] Is there much to recommend an MLX?

Andreas Larsen andreas at larsen.pl
Tue Dec 9 04:50:54 EST 2008

I come from a very cisco centric company before a I switched to the current
company. We ran alot of 6500 and 7600. With 7600/7200 in MPLS core.  I had
no trouble what so ever moving to XMR/MLX foundry the CLI is "industry"
standard etc. The only big differance I seen is the upgrade procedure of the
cards etc. Since the MLX/XMR is based on FPG you actually have to upgrade
all the cards each time you upgrade the software on the switch. Once you get
the hang of it it's not that hard but alot of information to keep in mind
when you do the upgrade.

I'm not sure about the price on the 7600/6500 but the platform itself feels
really old and I wonder how long cisco will continue to support it ? Will
there be a new architecture ? The foundry platform is 2 years now and it
will be ready for 100G per blade. That is something you have to consider
when installing gear for the future also.

If I had unlimited ammount of money I would go for the Cisco Solution. But
if I had to make a conscious choice and with your home economy I would
definitely go with Foundry.

Regards Andreas