[f-nsp] auto-shutdown new BGP-neighbors in 3.7 on MLX / reasons for upgrading: cam-exhaustion

Gunther Stammwitz gstammw at gmx.net
Thu Jan 3 09:36:15 EST 2008

Hey Erich,

that's great news, thanks for the hint.
Let's hope that foundry is going to provide a solution for the MRP-problem too.

We are still running code <= version 3.6 on most machines but this sounds like
we should start upgrading...
Oh by the way: everyone who is using foundry direct routing (FDR) which equals
the static cam mode should update *soon* as the global bgp routing table is
growing and growing and there is a limit of about 256k routes in older code
versions.
One can also circumvent this problem by using the dynamic cam mode although this
will increase the cpu utilization - but hey: a M4-jetcore-module is capable of
handling this so the MLX shouldn't suffer from any cpu problems, right???

Is anyone actually using the static cam mode on a peering router with lots of
peers, maybe at an IXP???

Gunther