[f-nsp] static vs dynamic cam mode on MLX/XMR (turning foundry direct routing off)

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sat Jan 5 03:24:43 EST 2008

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 02:59:17PM +0100, Niels Bakker wrote:
> * gstammw at gmx.net (Gunther Stammwitz) [Fri 04 Jan 2008, 11:52 CET]:
> >I actually wanted to ask if anyone is actually using the DYNAMIC cam
> >mode (when FDR is turned off) on a peering router with lots of different
> >destinations and heavy traffic load?
>
> You basically turn your router into a flow-based one from about a decade
> ago.  I haven't tested how that works out but I imagine it will not run
> well at all.

It's not quite that bad. It depends on your configuration, the number of
cam entries available, and the way they're being installed. I know people
who are still using classic ironcore boxes with covering routes and
net/dr-agg today, it's perfectly function (for some definition of
"functional" associated with ironcore).

If you had a box with say 256k cam entries and you suddenly found yourself
with a 300k entry routing table, it might not be a bad way to go. You're
going to age out the old cam entries as it fills up, and realistically not
even a major core network is going to be talking to all of the routes in
the table at the same time. This of course assumes that all of the
behaviors where it installs a cam entry per flow instead of per route have
been fixed (like for arp entries on directly connected interfaces, etc).

Don't dare try this on a 4k/8k/16k cam entry box though. Even if you have
limited flows, the day someone fires up a random dest DoS or worm your box
is going down like a... well actually I think "like a Foundry doing fast
switching" is the comparison one would normally use for such desperate
situations. :)