[f-nsp] XMR SNMP BGP accepted prefixes

Simon Leinen simon.leinen at switch.ch
Wed Jun 18 04:56:54 EDT 2008

Erich Hohermuth writes:
> I'm searching for something similar on the xmr like I had on my
> cisco device for pooling the accepted bgp prefixes
> "cbgpPeerPrefixAccepted" [1]. I searched the foundry mib [2] but I
> couldn't find something. Unfortunately on the standard bgp mib [3]
> this information isn't supported.

That's true.  But in the IETF IDR (Inter-Domain Routing) WG there is
an effort to define a new and improved standard BGP MIB.

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/idr/draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mibv2/

(The draft has currently "expired" because it hasn't been updated in
 six months.  But as long as people are interested in this, there is a
 chance that this will become standardized eventually.)

As of the latest proposal, this new BGP4-MIB will include

    bgpPrefixInPrefixesAccepted OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX Gauge32
        MAX-ACCESS read-only
        STATUS current
        DESCRIPTION
            "The number of prefixes for a peer that are installed
             in the Adj-Ribs-In and are eligible to become active
             in the Loc-Rib."
        ::= { bgpPrefixCountersEntry 4 }

In addition, it will allow monitoring of BGP peerings and routes for
(sub-) address families other than IPv4 unicast, in particular IPv6.

It would be really great if vendors such as Foundry would go ahead and
implement this draft.  That way people could gather experience both
implementing the SNMP agent side and using the MIB to monitor their
peerings, and feed back those experiences into the IETF IDR WG.

It's a shame that we still don't have a standard BGP MIB that has
these things that many ISPs find essential for monitoring their
peerings.
--
Simon.