[f-nsp] [Fwd: Foundry XMR/MLX Experience - Update]

Cliff Bowles cliff.bowles at apollogrp.edu
Wed Jun 18 19:08:09 EDT 2008

Our company just went through a similar eval. We needed a high-speed
core to push 10gb across our new metro DWDM for an active-active data
center project.

We compared Juniper MX960, Cisco 6509, Force-10 E600 and Foundry MLX-8.

Cisco - can't hang. The 96-port snake test (we sent a RFC2544 1Gb stream
through 96 ports across the fabric nuked it pretty good, and the frame
loss when the primary Sup was pulled was horrible.

Juniper - expensive despite deep discounts. Performed very well, but not
enough to justify the price. Used the newly-released 48-port copper
blades and found they couldn't maintain line-rate when using 64-byte
packets. Juniper confirms

Force-10 - hitless upon hardware failures, very high performance. One
challenge in Policy-Based Routing, but they just use a different method
to do the same thing. Would be the runner up except for financial
concerns, support contract was per-blade, not per-chassis, much higher
than foundry

Foundry - we've used a limited deployment of RX-series. The MLX
performed flawlessly, the sales staff was excellent and the price was
second-lowest. On a bang-for-the-buck graph, they were the choice for
us. We have 8 units on order now.

Hope this helps someone.

(For the record, nobody wanted to be the guinea pig for the Nexus, so we
left it off the eval)

This message is private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and remove it from your system.