[f-nsp] VPLS/VLL Redundancy

Tomasz Szewczyk tomeks at man.poznan.pl
Fri Oct 17 02:48:21 EDT 2008

Hi,

> 1. Anyone has experience with the VPLS/VLL redundancy where each
> subscriber node is connected to diffrent PE Router (NetIron MLX/XMR) ?
> I need some configuration brief about that. The whitepapers are very
> helpful too.

We used transparent BPDU flooding over VPLS instance, so it was possible
to run STP on L2 devices connected to XMRs (bot not on XMRs)
It is possible to enable it on interface:
no vpls-bpdu-block
However I used this only in case when L2 devices were under our
administration. Running this option on customer's interface is a little
bit risky because in case of L2 loop created by customer, the control
plane of XMRs can be affected. However there is cpu-protection option,
but I think it will not protect you against "loop" MAC learning.
> 2. Is it possible to map different VLANs into the same VPLS cloud ?

Yes - you just need to type:
vlan xxx
tag/untag e8/1
vlan yyy
tag/untag e8/2

Or you just setup different VLANs on remote VPLS endpoints. It works :-)
> 3. I need some suggestion of FastIron Edge products which have port
> based incoming and outgoing rate limitting with 64kbps granularity. I
> will combine it on my design with NetIron MLX/XMR for making VPLS/VLL
> provider.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experiences with FastIron series,
but last times I successfully tested rate-shaping for VPLS based on DSCP
in customer's IP packets. It works fine too :-)

Regards

Tomek