[f-nsp] Anyone having success with 8.0.01x software on Bigiron Jetcore

Jeroen Wunnink jeroen at easyhosting.nl
Wed Sep 3 11:13:15 EDT 2008

We're running a total of three Jetcore Bigiron 4000's

Recently I updated these to the B2P08001r software image from the
07.8.x release in order to be able to offer IPv6 to our customers in
the upcoming future, but somehow it seems that this 8.x software
release always comes back to bite me in the ass.

We have a fairly loaded network with 400+ servers in it (of which a
lot are webservers), so there's high CAM utilization involved on some
of the edge routers (which have several full and partial BGP tables
and a presence on the AMS-IX), but ever since I upgraded the routers
to the 8.x software the network seems to have a consystent packetloss
of around 1% to different destinations.

I've checked all ports on all routers for any TX/RX/CRC errors but
those check out all fine.

Every now and then packets are simply 'lost', it's not a major loss,
but it's enough for mtr to report a 1% loss across various hops and a
bigger streaming customer to notice an occasional 'hiccup' in his
streams. Yesterday I got some help from a colleague provider
suggesting to disable sFlow to see if it were short CPU bursts, and
although initially that seemed to help, the loss is back today as it
was before.

Now there is one card that seems to hover around very little
available L3 CAM, so there's a second J-BxG card underway to split up
some high traffic ports to see if that resolves it, but I'm also
noticing loss on a path that skips that specific router alltogether.

Now I can do a total revert to 07.8.04a software, but then I'm back
where I started: no IPv6 support whatsoever.

Anyone else noticing loss with the 8.0.01x firmware in 400Mbit+ networks ?

In the long run we have at least 1 XMR planned to replace the busiest
Jetcore, but that not a direct option yet.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Jeroen Wunnink,
EasyHosting B.V. Systeembeheerder
systeembeheer at easyhosting.nl

telefoon:+31 (035) 6285455              Postbus 48
fax: +31 (035) 6838242                  3755 ZG Eemnes

http://www.easyhosting.nl
http://www.easycolocate.nl