[f-nsp] FESX spanning-tree path cost success?

Christian MacNevin christian.macnevin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:22:43 EDT 2008

By the way, the way I dealt with this in the conference I was just
working on was to find the link between the two candidate roots
and jump that cost.

So for 10Gig links with a default cost of 2 and 1Gig with a default of
4, I raised the interlink between the two roots to 3.
This worked cause we had a weird set of rings as the uplinks were
costing us a grand a pop :S

root--------3---------root_standby
|						|
|						|
2						2
|						|
|						|
aggregate----2----aggregate
|						|
|						|
4						4
|		 				|
access-4-access-4-access

The idea was that that middle access switch (and everything else)
should use the left path to the root unless there was a down link
as we wanted to be able to SPAN everything from that one root switch
and wanted a more deterministic approach.

I'm guessing you don't have quite such an easy setup. What are you
guys doing there? qinq style pseudo-vpn layer 2 stuff?

On Sep 9, 2008, at 5:40 AM, Jonathan Brashear wrote:

Nice job sending that to the list. :p

Network Engineer
http://www.speakeasy.net