[f-nsp] Multiple Internet Providers

Niels Bakker niels=foundry-nsp at bakker.net
Sat Apr 25 12:45:15 EDT 2009

* jwhardeman at gmail.com (Joseph Hardeman) [Sat 25 Apr 2009, 18:24 CEST]:
>I am new to the list and new to configuring multiple internet providers.
>
>We are adding a second internet provider to our BI8000 and I am not able
>to get the routing right.  Everything wants to go out of the default
>route.  How do I need to configure the routing so that when I ping my
>second providers IP on our interface it responds properly?  We have
>several IP ranges, including a /25 that is coming from the first
>provider and we are adding additional /24's coming from our new provider
>and I want to make sure I can route these back to the proper provider.
>
>I think I am missing something simple, but for the life of me I can't
>quite catch it.

IP routing is done based solely on destination IP address.  It looks
like you're trying to multihome but not in the proper way (i.e., with
your own ASN and IP space from an RIR, running eBGP with all your
upstream providers).  You'll have to investigate PBR to do what you
want, it seems.

Either that, or you use very confusing terminology on what you mean with
"route back."  Posting your config and/or a network diagram with actual
numbers may help the list understand your situation better.

	-- Niels.