[f-nsp] Fwd: Multicasting config example?

debbie fligor fligor at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 24 12:45:11 EST 2009

On Feb 24, 2009, at 11:10, Kenneth Hellmann wrote:

> Good feedback Debbie, but I have to remind everyone that this isn't
> magic.
> Everything happens for a reason, and throwing out every config
> config line
> in the book and hoping that something sticks isn't the correct way to
> proceed.

Absolutely right Ken.  I wrote that longer example before the config
had been posted with no idea what he'd set or not set yet.

> Bjorn,
>
> The reason that your original config worked is because both ports
> were on
> the same vlan. Even though they had separate ip addresses, they were
> both on
> vlan 1. Because they were on the same vlan and you had ip multicast
> active,
> igmp would allow the join.
>
> When you changed the vlan to 13, they were not on the same vlan, and
> since
> pim wasn't configured on the ve, there was no multicast routing
> protocol to
> route from one subnet to the other.

sorry about that Bjorn, we usually use "route-only" in devices where
we put IP addresses on physical interfaces, and so that was how I was
thinking about it.  we very seldom put IP addresses directly on ports,
we do almost everything with VEs.  I think Ken has pegged your problem.

> If you want to send a multicast from one subnet to another, simply
> enable
> pim on both subnets.

That will work while everything is in box A, but if he wants it to
work between interfaces in box A and box B as he asked originally, I
think he'll still need to get OSPF on some more interfaces or things
wont go.

> It is not magic. And Foundry doesn't do it any differently from
> anyone else.

We're constantly being told by Foundry that we can do certain things
only on routed ports, not on VEs, so there are some things that can be
different.  I think you're right though, this isn't one of them.