[f-nsp] Fwd: Multicasting config example?

Kenneth Hellmann kenneth.hellmann at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 12:10:20 EST 2009

Good feedback Debbie, but I have to remind everyone that this isn't magic.
Everything happens for a reason, and throwing out every config config line
in the book and hoping that something sticks isn't the correct way to
proceed.

Bjorn,

The reason that your original config worked is because both ports were on
the same vlan. Even though they had separate ip addresses, they were both on
vlan 1. Because they were on the same vlan and you had ip multicast active,
igmp would allow the join.

When you changed the vlan to 13, they were not on the same vlan, and since
pim wasn't configured on the ve, there was no multicast routing protocol to
route from one subnet to the other.

If you want to send a multicast from one subnet to another, simply enable
pim on both subnets.

It is not magic. And Foundry doesn't do it any differently from anyone else.

Ken