[f-nsp] Question about MLX/XMR capabilities

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Tue Jan 27 05:53:52 EST 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Allan Eising wrote:

> Ouch, that's a big show-stopper for me.
>
> I've heard a rumor that vlan overlap was possible with MPLS... I guess
> this is not the case then.
>
> Thank you for your swift answers, although I'm saddened by the result,
> but that's not your fault :)

Can't tell you about MLX/XMR, and I don't pretend to really understand
your proposed conceptual diagram as it is outwith the sort of thing I do
(campus LAN-oriented, not Service Provider-oriented), but on BigIron and
probably SuperX platforms, you can do:

vlan 230 name Whatever by port
  tagged ethe 1/1 to 1/2
  ip-subnet A.B.Z.0 255.255.255.0 name SomeSubnetZ
  static ethe 1/1 to 1/2
  router-interface ve 230
  ip-subnet A.B.Y.0 255.255.255.0 name SomeSubnetY
  static ethe 1/1 to 1/2
  router-interface ve 130

Maybe that's what you need ...

Jethro.

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Tomasz Szewczyk <tomeks at man.poznan.pl>wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think it is not possible (at least at the moment). The IP can be set for
> > virtual interface, but first you're creating L2 vlan and next, you need to
> > add router interface.
> > The configuration looks like
> > SSH at XMR_1(config)#vlan 2
> > SSH at XMR_1(config-vlan-2)#router-interface ve 3
> > SSH at XMR_1(config-vlan-2)#router-interface ve 4
> > error - vlan 2 is already has router-interface 3
> >
> > So there is one ve per one vlan. VLAN is configured globally, so no
> > overlapping is possible.
> > It seems shaping per subinterface is not possible too:
> > SSH at XMR_1(config-vif-3)#qos shaper 100000
> > Error: please use physical port config interface level to configure qos
> > shaper.
> > But on physical interface shaping is configured globally.
> >
> > Probably you need to ask Foundry (Brocade currently) about extensions in
> > new code versions. The output I captured comes from latest (4.0) code.
> >
> > Tomek
> >
> > Allan Eising pisze:
> >
> >> Hi there,
> >>

> >> We're currently considering if the Foundry MLX/XMR series will fit as our
> >> core routers.
> >> I've been searching through the foundry site, and there are two core
> >> requirements that I'm uncertain if the XMR or MLX can handle:
> >>
> >>  - VLANs overlapping between interfaces, eg. two routed vlan subinterfaces
> >> both encapsulated with vlan 50.
> >>  - Per sub-interface shaping.
> >>
> >> For the sake of clarity, I've uploaded a conceptual diagram, available
> >> here:
> >> http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/5186/conceptsl6.png
> >>
> >> Is there anyone on this list who are able to assist?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Allan Eising

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK