[f-nsp] Question about MLX/XMR capabilities

Allan Eising allan.eising at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 06:32:37 EST 2009

Right, thank you all very much for your explanations. It has been most helpful.

Regarding rate-limiting versus shaping, I'm interested in both
limiting customer IP traffic as well as adding various Quality of
Service profiles in order to do stuff with voice traffic.

I've contacted a SE guy, so I'm waiting to get their official reply to
these questions, but at the moment, I have the impression that the
only way to solve the overlapping vlan/QinQ issue would be one of the
following:

 - a pair CES2000 that does vlan translation based on ESI
 - a pair of MPLS PE routers that takes the vlan trunks and converts
them into VPLS's for the core routers to route.

None of the solutions are particularly elegant, and at least the first
one would double the price...

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Allan