[f-nsp] question on header based switching

Nagendra Modadugu ngm+foundry-nsp at google.com
Sun Jul 26 21:13:49 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Oliver Adam <oadam at madao.de> wrote:

> This depends. The ServerIron is going to create a 1-to-1 mapping by
> default. There is a single backend connection for all incoming connection by
> default. I assume you are talking about a current ServerIron modeul and not
> somethine like the ServerIron XL (10 years old or even older). There is a
> feature called TCP offlad to allow backend connections to stay open -
> multiple clients might use the same backend connection doing so. The
> ServerIron is going to create the first connection at the time the first
> request needs to get forrwarded to a given real server. The client is going
> to close the connection and the ServerIron keeps the backend connection open
> but closes the frontend connection.

I need one further clarification -- say a client sends two requests over a
TCP connection, the first with Host header 'foo.com' and a second request
with Host header 'bar.com'.  If the ServerIron has been configured to switch
based on Host header, are the two requests switched to the right backends?
Does this work when clients have HTTP pipelining enabled?

- nagendra