[f-nsp] EdgeIron series

Steve Dalberg steve at sendithere.com
Fri Sep 18 15:14:46 EDT 2009

2009/9/18 Brian Stadtmiller <brian at terabitsystems.net>:
> This is a little known and well kept secret:  The EdgeIron series are all actually re-branded switches made by Accton.
> Here is a link to the Accton version of a EIF24G
>
> http://www.accton.com/products/product_range/04_l2ges/es4524c.htm
>
> This is why they do not seem much like a Foundry, from both hardware and software design.  I have heard very mixed
> reviews of the EdgeIrons.
>

> Brian Stadtmillerry-nsp

iirc, Accton is an ODM that "makes" switches for just about everyone.
I would guess (and its just a guess) that is a reference design switch
based on a Broadcom or Marvell chip that Accton is taking to market to
bleed off excess capacity and make a buck or two.  ODM's usually do
some the component integration work, if not all.  Usually, but not
always, leaving the software pieces to their customer.

Steve