[f-nsp] FWSX448 vs FESX448 non-PREM

Brian Stadtmiller brian at terabitsystems.net
Wed Apr 21 12:04:31 EDT 2010

The FWSX448 is identical to a FESX448, EXCEPT it will only run one image, a
layer 2 switch image.
Foundry did this to be able to market a lower cost L2 only switch, at the
request of their sales
Team.  They have the same chassis, powers, system board, etc, everything as
a FESX.
So if you were to load a FESX448 with the layer 2 image, it's just like a
FWSX448.
Many people are unaware of this fact, and buy a FESX, and run L2 switch code
on it.  The FWSX is a
More cost effective means to deploy a high performance feature rich layer 2
switch.  I have sold them into data centers with very good results.

Brian Stadtmiller
Terabit Systems
2565 3rd Street #334
San Francisco, CA 94107
415-230-4353 main
415-652-2888 cell
AIM:  bstadtmiller9609

So:
FESX448-PREM   can run any of the 3 images, Layer 2 only, Base L3 (static
routes and rip) and Full L3
FESX448  can run 2 images, Layer 2 only, and Base L3
FWSX448 can run one image, Layer 2 only