[f-nsp] MAC Address Leakage

Dana dana at zeroloops.com
Tue Dec 28 05:48:13 EST 2010

Hello list,

I do have a simple question. I hope I find some pointers from some of you.

The problem lies on our FESX and FI4802 switches. The FESX is running
L2  code (SXS05100c.bin) and the FI4802 is runing L2/L3 code
(BL308001t.bin). The setup is as simple as follows:

- FESX has VLANs 111 and 222 tagged to port 5
- FI4802 has VLANs 111 and 222 tagged to port 5 + ve interface for VLAN 222.
- Port 5 on both switches are interconnected.

In this setup, I should expect the MAC address of the FI4802 ONLY in
VLAN 222 because that is where the VE interface is configured, however,
I always see the MAC address in BOTH VLAN 111 and 222. I have disabled
the following:

- STP globally (which should restrict any BPDU packets)
- CDP/FDP on port 5 on both switches which should also restrict any
CDP/FDP messages which could result in MAC address discovery.

However, all workarounds that I have done are not successful. Is there
anyone experiences the same problem? If so, what would be the trick to
restrict the MAC address discovery in the unintended VLAN?

Look forward to your response.

--
Dana