[f-nsp] BigIron RX - Combined Software Upgrade

Dana dana at zeroloops.com
Thu Feb 11 09:46:22 EST 2010

Hi All,

I am currently working on a plan to upgrade our BigIron RXes to the
latest firmware version. Having read the manual, I am now convinced to
execute the following command to perform "combined software upgrade":

# copy tftp image 1.1.1.1 rx02702d.bin lp-boot mp-boot; OR
# copy tftp image 1.1.1.1 rx02702d.bin lp-sec mp-sec.

To my understanding, using "lp-sec" and "mp-sec" parameters will ensure
that the running (primary) software will not be touched (in case of a
rollback procedure). However, the boot AND monitor images starting
version 2.5 do not need to be upgraded. Thus, why do we still need to
include lp-sec or mp-sec after all? Has anyone ever successfully used
this method?

Thanks in advance.