[f-nsp] NetIron MLX-4 vs Juniper MX240

Brashear, Jonathan jbrashear at sbsplanet.com
Fri May 7 09:02:27 EDT 2010

My experience with both lines(I've used MX480/960 & MLX-16/32) has thus far been pretty good.  I personally prefer JunOS, but that's as much a familiarity issue(worked in a couple Juniper-laden ISPs for several years) as anything.  The IOS is a pretty easy ramp-up for anyone with significant Cisco experience.  It seems that the entire Foundry line has improved since Brocade bought them out; I used to feel similar to you when it came to their support, but these days I haven't had any problems getting questions answered/RMAs processed.  Other things they've done - like moving to unified images instead of having to upgrade multiple binaries - make me think the Foundry/Brocade line is on the right track.  Having said that, the Juniper MX series is a good platform & has a lot going for it.  I'd agree with earlier assessments about price, Junipers have always been pricy.

What kind of failover are you considering?  Are you talking about failover between redundant routers or internal failover(between mgmt modules, etc.)?

(Full disclosure: I work for a Brocade subsidiary.)

Jonathan Brashear
Strategic Business Systems, Inc.
13800 Coppermine Road, Suite 400 | Herndon, VA 20171
Work: 214-887-7719 x 101-7719 | Cell: 214.850.5986
Please visit our web site at www.sbsplanet.com