[f-nsp] NetIron MLX-4 vs Juniper MX240

Scott T. Cameron routehero at gmail.com
Fri May 7 07:21:35 EDT 2010

(forgot to copy back the list)

Thanks, this is really helpful.  I do appreciate the cost difference.  We do
have some "credits", so to speak, due to our early adoption of the SRX
series.

Some of the routing engine tasks done on the SRX series are really, really
slow. I have my SRX series taking a full route table from my upstream
providers today on BGP.  This process can take about 5 minutes to complete.
 Obviously, this is insane.

How fast are the Juniper MX series at taking / injecting routes?  How is the
failover convergence?

For the CLI, I'm not sure that I like JunOS better than the IOS clone.  My
former career was entirely Cisco, so the IOS clone is like an old, familiar
friend for me. I have more or less gotten over the learning curve with
JunOS, though.  And I do like it is a familiar FreeBSD system underneath,
even allowing you to go in to a shell.

There's a site I found, which I suspect is likely to be a bit of a Cisco
talking point, but interesting nonetheless:

http://bradreese.com/cisco-vs-competitor.htm

Some of their "studies" show that the MX-series routers have some trouble
during failover.  I am taking it with a grain of salt, just curious of
anyone has had those experiences.

On the MLX side of things.  With a rather large Foundry switching
environment, I and my team are very comfortable on that platform.  The
switches just work, and the strangest problem I have seen interop problems
with a Cisco -- and I blame Cisco for that.  We have had some struggles
using the Foundry ServerIron due to a few bugs here and there.  I do,
however, expect that a full layer3 stack is significantly less complicated
of code than what the ServerIron is able to do, so should have less bugs.

They are marketing the dual management modules as ISSU-capable.  There is a
cost difference, but it's not even 25% for our config.

Last but not least, support.  Both vendors have terrible technical support
when you have a bug, in my experience.  I loathe having to open a case.  Is
it different for support on the router series?

Thanks for all the wisdom, much appreciated.