[f-nsp] NetIron MLX-4 vs Juniper MX240

George B. georgeb at gmail.com
Fri May 7 11:17:37 EDT 2010

"Some of their "studies" show that the MX-series routers have some
trouble during failover.  I am taking it with a grain of salt, just
curious of anyone has had those experiences."

What sort of failover?  Are you meaning failover between management
modules or across units?  One thing we have done is eliminated
spanning-tree by using FCX units at "top of rack", stacking a pair of
them together in each rack, and using MRP going back to the
primary/secondary core units to manage layer2.  Failover is FAST.  The
servers using bonded interfaces up to the stacked pair of switches.  A
NIC/link/port failure failover is practically instant as is failover
from a failed uplink.  I can ping something on the Internet, power off
the main core switch, and lose one ping ... sometimes.  Sometimes I
don't lose any.