[f-nsp] MRP + VSRP

Jorik Jonker Jorik.Jonker at eu.equinix.com
Thu Nov 18 10:29:38 EST 2010

Hi all,

The other day I was playing around a little bit, and tried to create a L2 redundancy structure using MRP and VSRP. In essence I'd like to create a MRP ring over 4 NetIron switches, and connect a fifth box, some router to two of the four switches. In order to provide a redundant connection between the switching platform and the router I'd like to use VSRP, which according to the VSRP-chapter in the NetIron config guide (5.1.00, sub-chapter "VSRP and Foundry MRP signaling", figure 143-145) should be a piece of cake.

I created a VLAN tagged across the four switches, gave it a MRP ring, created a topology group, created a second VLAN (since this ring is usable for other stuff as well), and tried to put VSRP into that VLAN, which failed:

xmr0(config-vlan-2000)#vsrp vrid 100
error - vlan VLAN: 2000  is member of topology group.

Ok, so topology-groups and VSRP are not compatible in that way. I tried to bless the MRP control VLAN with VSRP, which was allowed by the CLI, but had different side effects:

vlan 1000 name ring
 untagged ethe 4/20
 tagged ethe 4/1 to 4/2
 metro-ring 1
  master
  enable
 vsrp vrid 1
  backup priority 250
  enable

xmr0(config-vlan-2000)#sh metro

Metro Ring 1 - VLAN Type REGULAR
==============
Ring       State      Ring       Master     Topo       Hello      Prefwing
id                    role       vlan       group      time(ms)   time(ms)
1          disabled   master     1000       not conf   100        300

Ring interfaces Interface role  Interface state interface type
Not configured
Not configured

So, VSRP disabled MRP operation.

Can anyone hint me how to get the situation like in figures 143-145 of the 5.1.00 config guide (PDF page 886 or 714)?

Best regards,

Jorik Jonker
Special Projects, Netherlands
jorik.jonker at eu.equinix.com<mailto:jorik.jonker at eu.equinix.com>
+31 53 434 0570 TEL
+31 53 436 3098 FAX

EQUINIX
Postbus 673
7500 AR Enschede

KvK: 06092246

This email is from Equinix Europe Limited or one of its associated/subsidiary companies. This email, and any files transmitted with it, contains information which is confidential, may be legally privileged and is solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email immediately.  Equinix Europe Limited.  Registered Office: Quadrant House, 4 Thomas More Square, London E1W 1YW.  Registered in England and Wales, No. 6293383.