[f-nsp] [FastIron] RIP routes does not get into CAM

Heath Jones hj1980 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 15:56:18 EDT 2010

>> I'm assuming you have dot1q between A and B?
> Yes, there is dot1q between A and B (it's vlan 128 for instance) this
> vlan is configured as UNTAGGED on all physical ports.

>> Do you not have a L3 interface on A in 192.168.1/24?
> Nope, "A" does not have any ve interfaces in 192.168.1/24.

> In the case : machine 1 -> A(L3) -> B(L3) -> A(L2) -> machine 2 :
> machine 2 is physically located in building A

How does A(L3) -> B(L3) -> A(L2) happen if you only have 1 vlan across
the trunk and all switchports are in it?
Are you running multiple L3 networks in the same L2 broadcast domain?
I'm wondering if ICMP redirects may happen in that case.. If a router
sends a packet out the same interface it came in on, it should send a
redirect.
It would be the same interface, as there is only one vlan on the trunk..
Other things that spring to mind is the handling in hardware
forwarding of this scenario..

Sounds like you have gone through this process though in your mind
already though.