[f-nsp] Ironcore and sFlows support [please help]

Nick Gray ngray at cyberwurx.com
Wed Oct 20 10:13:55 EDT 2010

  Greetings foundry-nsp!

I heard about the mailing lists from a friend in passing while
explaining a pretty odd issue...

I have recently discovered the wonders of sFlow and have loved every
minute of it.  Talk about the complete ease of network analysis.

Now to my problem:
I turned sFlow on one of our jetcore based foundries and it worked
flawlessly.  Packets were being sent to my sFlow collector and
everything was working.

Then, I went to my ironcore based router and configured sFlow the same
way, only this time, no packets were being sent to the collector.  "That
is weird" I thought.  Looking over the config, I saw that the "sflow
forwarding" config line did not stay with the interface.  In fact, it
wasn't there at all.  I went ahead and added it again and the config
still didn't stick.  When using the command on the interface, it seemed
to work with no errors.  But unfortunately the config still didn't commit.

show sflow lists that sflow services are enabled, but no ports are
configured even after trying to add 'sflow forwarding' to an interface.

Now to my question:
With the sFlow module present in the ironcore series management cards,
what configuration parameters do I need to use to enable sFlow on an
interface?  Google pretty much turned up results I already tried with
the jetcore (which worked for the jetcore, just not the ironcore).

Maybe I am missing something? Any input or help is greatly appreciated!
I would hate to have to mirror a port to a packet collection server for
each router that I want to collect data on.

Here is some data:
#show version
   SW: Version 07.7.00T53 Copyright (c) 1996-2003 Foundry Networks, Inc.
       Compiled on Sep 29 2003 at 19:20:00 labeled as B2P07700
       (2882307 bytes) from Primary B2P07700.BIN
   HW: BigIron 4000 Router, SYSIF version 21, Serial #: Non-exist
SL 1: B8GMR Fiber Management Module, SYSIF 2, M3, ACTIVE

Regards,

Nick