[f-nsp] 3rd party optics

Niels Bakker niels=foundry-nsp at bakker.net
Thu Apr 14 14:29:40 EDT 2011

* remco at signet.nl (Remco Bressers) [Thu 14 Apr 2011, 19:53 CEST]:
>On 14 apr 2011, at 19:41, Pavel Lunin wrote:
>>Can anyone confirm/disprove, that any Brocade product is know to
>>have 'religious' restriction for 3rd party optics. Both SPF and
>>XFP/SPF+.
>
>I never had any problems of whatsoever with third-party optics on
>FESX, FGS, MLX or XMR's. The only issue was a 1000T SFP not working.
>A software upgrade fixed that.

You must not be using DOM, then.
---
fesx#sho ver | i HW:
   HW: Stackable FESX424+2XG
fesx(config-if-e10000-25)#optical-monitor
Enable optical monitoring and set alarm/warn interval to default(3 minutes)
fesx(config-if-e10000-25)#
---
Apr 14 20:01:15:O:SYSTEM: Optic is not Foundry qualified (port 25).
---

Ironically, the optic was purchased from Foundry, carries a Foundry
logo and Foundry warranty, arrived in a Foundry box etc.  DOM support
may have come in a later software release than this particular switch
is running at the moment, though - they've been for a while reporting
optics brands that they used to ship as "Foundry Networks" instead.

At the risk of beating a dead horse: support for optics not sold by
the vendor is vital to any serious business.  Being locked in means
you can toss your investment when your network changes even slightly.

	-- Niels.