[f-nsp] 3rd party optics

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Thu Apr 14 15:48:35 EDT 2011

On 14/04/2011 19:29, Niels Bakker wrote:
> At the risk of beating a dead horse: support for optics not sold by the
> vendor is vital to any serious business. Being locked in means you can
> toss your investment when your network changes even slightly.

Honestly, I've all but given up on this.  If vendors are going to force me
to lie to the switches about SFF8472 eeproms in order to get DOM support,
then I will lie and lie fluently.  I will tell the switches anything they
want to hear and will feel no guilt.

The next item on my budget is a flexbox (http://www.flexoptix.net/).  Until
then, my suppliers can provide pre-programmed transceivers in any flavour I
want.

For the record, if there's anyone from Brocade listening, transceiver
feature-hobbling is a pointless waste of time which directly creates
customer dissatisfaction.  Please stop doing it.

Nick