[f-nsp] 3rd party optics

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Thu Apr 14 17:01:59 EDT 2011

Folks,

Thanks. I think it's enough evidence of no religion is involved in Brocades
approach to transceivers. I am sorry about a bit of holy-war kindling.

My two cents, though :)

Of course it's a little too much pathos in that 'risk of beating a dead
horse' talk.

1. If your network uses up to ~few tens of transceivers, especially of
different (and not that expensive) types and you buy them in order of few
items a year, it's unlikely you want to invest in your own testing and
calculating the fail rate of the modules from a source you prefer. In this
case I also find it a good idea to pay some extra to your gear vendor in
order to shift all this to its shoulders. This is easier and even cheaper
(if you count your real expense, not just the MSRP price of the optics).

2. But if you need hundreds or thousands of them [each year], especially if
you need some SPF types not shipped by your gear vendor, you can (and will)
try to use as less as possible types of optics and do the testing and fail
risk management yourself in order to decrease costs. If only you don't want
to be pissed off the market. And of course you want to chose the source from
several ones (and use all the benefits of the competition). No religion,
just business.