[f-nsp] 3rd party optics

Jonas Frey (Probe Networks) jf at probe-networks.de
Tue Apr 19 10:53:50 EDT 2011

Hi,

i can confirm that DOM support seems to not work on BigIron RX with 3rd
party SFP optics:

Port 2/1:
    Type  : SFP (LX-1310nm)
    Vendor:     FINISAR CORP.   , Version:
    Part# :     FTRJ-1319-7D-CSC, Serial#:     H824106
Port 2/2:
    Type  : SFP (LX-1310nm)
    Vendor:     FINISAR CORP.   , Version:
    Part# :     FTRJ-1319-7D-CSC, Serial#:     P4L0G4S
Port 2/3:
    Type  : SFP (LX-1310nm)
    Vendor:     CISCO-FINISAR   , Version:                 A0
    Part# :     1000BASE-LX     , Serial#:     H11L290
Port 2/4:
    Type  : SFP (LX-1310nm)
    Vendor:     CISCO-FINISAR   , Version:                 A0
    Part# :     1000BASE-LX     , Serial#:     H11L291

#sh optic 2
 Port Temperature    Tx Power       Rx Power    Tx Bias Current Monitor
+----+-----------+--------------+--------------+---------------+-------+
  2/1   N/A            N/A            N/A            N/A
  2/2   N/A            N/A            N/A            N/A
  2/3   N/A            N/A            N/A            N/A
  2/4   N/A            N/A            N/A            N/A
  2/5   N/A            N/A            N/A            N/A
  2/6   N/A            N/A            N/A            N/A

Apr 19 16:46:19:W:WARNING: 2/4 optic The SFP optic installed does not
support optical monitoring feature
Apr 19 16:46:19:W:WARNING: 2/3 optic The SFP optic installed does not
support optical monitoring feature
Apr 19 16:46:19:W:WARNING: 2/2 optic The SFP optic installed does not
support optical monitoring feature
Apr 19 16:46:19:W:WARNING: 2/1 optic The SFP optic installed does not
support optical monitoring feature

If you check the finisar datasheet for FTRJ-1319-7D-CSC you will see
that these support DOM.

I have an eeprom SFP(+)/XFP programmer on order and will be able to
reprogram these soon. Lets see if that helps.

3rd party XFP's work fine as well as display DOM correctly:

Port 4/1:
    Type  : 10GBASE-CX4 (XFP)
    Vendor:                     , Version:
    Part# :                     , Serial#:
Port 4/2:
    Type  : 10GBASE-LR/LW (XFP)
    Vendor:     BOOKHAM-TECHNOL-, Version:
    Part# :                     , Serial#:

 Port Temperature    Tx Power       Rx Power    Tx Bias Current Monitor
  4/1   36.8320 C   -001.9084 dBm  -006.0941 dBm   43.288 mA    Disabled
  4/2   35.5429 C                     NONE         0.000 mA    Disabled

Ironically the 4/1 XFP type is incorrectly detected but DOM still works
on that port. (Port 4/2 is not connected, so DOM reading is correct).

(Running RX Code 2.7.02i)

Regards,
Jonas Frey