[f-nsp] Upgrading IOS on a MLX-8

Mr. Dickerson naskrfan at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 26 10:50:58 EST 2011

I have upgrade numerous MLX's, as I work for Brocade in their Professional
Services group. The process to upgrade an MLX is a little more complex than you
may realize, especially since you are going from such an old code level to the
latest (as a few others have pointed out).

First off, DO NOT attempt to use the combined image until you are at a minimal
of code level 5.0. Trying to use the image on a code version any earlier, and
you will have issues.

Secondly, if you are running MRJ21 or any form of 10GB modules, the combined
image will not work, as it does not have the correct images. You have to upgrade
these line cards separately.

Do not forget to upgrade your mbridge image. Follow the directions in the
manual, for deleting the existing mbridge_old image or you will have issues if
you try to back out of your upgrade.

Be prepared to spend at a minimal of 30 minutes per MLX to do all the steps
required to do the upgrade. You will be loading many images during this time,
and it is very important that you keep track of where you are at in the process.

If it helps you, here is a list of commands to upgrade an MLX-8 with 8-port 10GB
modules and 24-port Copper GE modules. These are the all the images that are
needed to upgrade the management, SFM, mbridge, and line cards which are
installed. In our case, these were new "out of the box" MLX's so we did not have
to delete the existing mbridge_old image first.

copy tftp image 10.1.1.1 xm05100.bin del
copy tftp flash 10.1.1.1 xmr05100b.bin pri del
copy tftp flash 10.1.1.1 xmprm05100.bin boot
copy tftp flash 10.1.1.1 xmb05100.bin monitor
copy tftp lp 10.1.1.1 xmlb05100.bin monitor all
copy tftp lp 10.1.1.1 xmlprm05100.bin boot all
copy tftp lp 10.1.1.1 xmlp05100b.bin primary all
copy tftp mbridge 10.1.1.1 mbridge_05100b.xsvf
copy tftp lp 10.1.1.1 lpfpga05100.bin fpga-all all
copy tftp lp 10.1.1.1 pbifsp2_05100b.bin fpga-pbif all
copy tftp lp 10.1.1.1 xppsp2_05100b.bin fpga-xpp all

wr mem
reload

Regards,
Terry Dickerson