[f-nsp] Link Aggregation between Foundry and Cisco

Joseph Hardeman jwhardeman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 19:27:20 EST 2011

Hi Everyone,

I am having a bit of an issue, I have gotten a pair of Cisco 6509's with
the SUP-720 engines.  I am trying to configure link aggregation between
one of these to a BI4000 I have to test with before we put them into
production and connect them to our BI8000's and fight this problem
then.  I have been searching and looking at the docs I have.  The
configuration I have on the Cisco's allow them to talk over the port
channels between each other with no issues.

I can setup the command "link-aggregation active" on port "ethe 1/5"
with no issues it takes the command, but when I go to add a test VLAN on
to that port I get the following error message:

error - some ports are running LACP and can not be tagged ports.

Here is the command I am running on the BI:

test(config)#int e 1/5
test(config-if-e1000-1/5)#link-aggregate configure key 10000
test(config-if-e1000-1/5)#link-aggregate active
test(config-if-e1000-1/5)#exit
test(config)#vlan 14
test(config-vlan-14)#tagged e 1/5
error - some ports are running LACP and can not be tagged ports.
test(config-vlan-14)#end

Here is the output of sh int e 1/5"
GigabitEthernet1/5 is up, line protocol is up
   Hardware is GigabitEthernet, address is 00e0.52cc.3b04 (bia
00e0.52cc.3b04)
   Configured speed 1Gbit, actual 1Gbit, configured duplex fdx, actual fdx
   Member of L2 VLAN ID 1, port is untagged, port state is BLOCKING
   STP configured to ON, priority is level0, flow control disabled
   mirror disabled, monitor disabled
   Not member of any active trunks
   Not member of any configured trunks
   No port name
   MTU 1518 bytes, encapsulation ethernet
   300 second input rate: 40104 bits/sec, 72 packets/sec, 0.00% utilization
   300 second output rate: 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec, 0.00% utilization
   899789 packets input, 62419802 bytes, 0 no buffer
   Received 372 broadcasts, 899417 multicasts, 0 unicasts
   0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 ignored
   0 runts, 0 giants, DMA received 899786 packets
   0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns
   Transmitted 0 broadcasts, 0 multicasts, 0 unicasts
   0 output errors, 0 collisions, DMA transmitted 0 packets

Output of sh link-aggregation:
Long  timeout: 90, default: 90
Short timeout: 3, default: 3
Port  [Sys P] [Port P] [ Key ] [Act][Tio][Agg][Syn][Col][Dis][Def][Exp][Ope]
1/5        1        1       0   Yes   S   Agg  Syn  Col  Dis  Def  No   Blo

So my question is what am I missing here?   From everything I found, all
I have to do after setting 1 or more ports into a link-aggregation is to
add the VLAN's as tagged to the ports with the same key.  But its not
allowing me to add the tagged vlans.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Joe