[f-nsp] Link Aggregation between Foundry and Cisco

Mike Allen mkallen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 20:15:54 EST 2011

Joe, Scott is likely on the right track.  Early versions of B4000/8000 code
did not support dynamic LACP over tagged links.  Given that, your options
are upgrading to a newer release, or use static trunks as you mentioned.  If
you do the upgrade and then do LACP over a tagged port, make sure you use a
LACP key.  Other than that, it should work just fine between vendors.  Hope
that helps.

Mike

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Joseph Hardeman <jwhardeman at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1/7/2011 7:36 PM, Big Wave Dave wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Joseph Hardeman<jwhardeman at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> I am having a bit of an issue, I have gotten a pair of Cisco 6509's with
>>> the
>>> SUP-720 engines.  I am trying to configure link aggregation between one
>>> of
>>> these to a BI4000 I have to test with before we put them into production
>>> and
>>> connect them to our BI8000's and fight this problem then.  I have been
>>> searching and looking at the docs I have.  The configuration I have on
>>> the
>>> Cisco's allow them to talk over the port channels between each other with
>>> no
>>> issues.
>>>
>>> I can setup the command "link-aggregation active" on port "ethe 1/5" with
>>> no
>>> issues it takes the command, but when I go to add a test VLAN on to that
>>> port I get the following error message:
>>>
>>> error - some ports are running LACP and can not be tagged ports.
>>>
>>> Here is the command I am running on the BI:
>>>
>>> test(config)#int e 1/5
>>> test(config-if-e1000-1/5)#link-aggregate configure key 10000
>>> test(config-if-e1000-1/5)#link-aggregate active
>>> test(config-if-e1000-1/5)#exit
>>> test(config)#vlan 14
>>> test(config-vlan-14)#tagged e 1/5
>>> error - some ports are running LACP and can not be tagged ports.
>>> test(config-vlan-14)#end
>>>
>>> Here is the output of sh int e 1/5"
>>> GigabitEthernet1/5 is up, line protocol is up
>>>  Hardware is GigabitEthernet, address is 00e0.52cc.3b04 (bia
>>> 00e0.52cc.3b04)
>>>  Configured speed 1Gbit, actual 1Gbit, configured duplex fdx, actual fdx
>>>  Member of L2 VLAN ID 1, port is untagged, port state is BLOCKING
>>>  STP configured to ON, priority is level0, flow control disabled
>>>  mirror disabled, monitor disabled
>>>  Not member of any active trunks
>>>  Not member of any configured trunks
>>>  No port name
>>>  MTU 1518 bytes, encapsulation ethernet
>>>  300 second input rate: 40104 bits/sec, 72 packets/sec, 0.00% utilization
>>>  300 second output rate: 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec, 0.00% utilization
>>>  899789 packets input, 62419802 bytes, 0 no buffer
>>>  Received 372 broadcasts, 899417 multicasts, 0 unicasts
>>>  0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 ignored
>>>  0 runts, 0 giants, DMA received 899786 packets
>>>  0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns
>>>
>> >    Transmitted 0 broadcasts, 0 multicasts, 0 unicasts
>>
>>>  0 output errors, 0 collisions, DMA transmitted 0 packets
>>>

>>> Output of sh link-aggregation:
>>> Long  timeout: 90, default: 90
>>> Short timeout: 3, default: 3
>>> Port  [Sys P] [Port P] [ Key ]
>>> [Act][Tio][Agg][Syn][Col][Dis][Def][Exp][Ope]
>>> 1/5        1        1       0   Yes   S   Agg  Syn  Col  Dis  Def  No