[f-nsp] Basic ACL question

David Miller dmiller at metheus.org
Thu Jul 14 16:51:50 EDT 2011

I have a ServerIron 4G doing NATing and load balancing.  It's a pretty
typical configuration, I think.

The WAN port for the router is configured like so:

interface ve 66
  ip access-group access_group_1 in
  ip address 1.2.3.5 255.255.255.0
  ip nat outside
  ip vrrp-extended vrid 66
   backup
   advertise backup
   ip-address 1.2.3.7
   vip-group 1
   vrid-group 1

The acl looks like this:

ip access-list extended access_group_1
  permit tcp any host 1.2.3.12 eq http
  [...]
  deny ip any any

1.2.3.12 is virtual host with a real address.  A real host, 192.168.1.12
is bound to the virtual host on http.

I'm trying to limit access on the port to a particular network, but
nothing in that access control list seems to affect access.  Deleting
the permit doesn't block access through this port; neither does adding a
specific deny entry.

I'm missing something basic here.  Does binding a real server to a
virtual automatically permit access on that port?  Is the acl not
properly setup on the interface?

Pointers welcome,

--- David