[f-nsp] MLX-XMR compatibility

George B. georgeb at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 16:45:09 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Niels Bakker
<niels=foundry-nsp at bakker.net> wrote:
> * rens at autempspourmoi.be (Rens) [Tue 21 Jun 2011, 11:31 CEST]:
>>
>> Small question regarding the modules interchangeability between MLX-XMR?
>>
>> Can a NI-MLX-1Gx20-SFP 20-port 1GbE-100FX Module be used in a XMR?
>> Can a NI-XMR-1Gx20-SFP 20-port 1GbE/100FX Module be used in a MLX?
>
> No.
>
> (The blades physically fit and are identical except for more DRAM and CAM in
> the XMR versions.  No comment on firmware hacks from me, but it's really not
> a supported configuration, or one you want to run on, as you probably need
> the extra CAM in your XMR and you'll run into Issues if one linecard runs
> out of storage space for routes.)
>
> This will be slightly different for MLXe.  Talk to your account manager.
>

>        -- Niels.

The way I understand it:

If you put an MLX blade in an XMR, the machine basically becomes an
MLX and you lose the larger capacity of all of the XMR blades.

If you put an XMR blade in an MLX, it basically becomes an MLX blade.

MLXe chassis can run either MLX or XMR blades, but they must all be
the same in the chassis.  A single MLX blade in the chassis makes the
entire thing MLX.